Image from flickr.com
In today’s business world, your website must meet a number of criteria. It must be search engine optimized, have content geared towards people and not just Google, and be able to provide site guests with the information they need no matter what type of device they are using. Should you want your site to be even more user-friendly and the place where guests frequently visit, then you must also have a custom app that makes you stand out from the crowd.
App development and implementation is a vital part of the successful business. Studies show that 80% of time spent on mobile media is spent on apps; this number is higher than the amount of time spent on personal computers. Even more interesting is that a study performed last year by statista.com found that 2.4% of American smartphone users downloaded at least eight apps per month, and that 34.5% of smartphone users downloaded apps on a monthly basis. These numbers are proof positive that having an app for your business is vital.
Keys of a Well-designed App
Having a business app is more than just a quick way to access your website; a well-designed app will give you an edge over your competition. But, this edge is only achievable if your app meets the following 6 standards:
- A single Source – You could have an app that has to be re-designed each time you move from iOS, to Android and web browser to browser. Or, you can choose to develop an app that is supported by every platform and can be used on any size or type of screen. The second option will save you time and money.
- Updates Allowed – An app that cannot be easily updated or tweaked across all platforms will end up costing you more than you prefer. To be of benefit to both you and your guests, the app should be able to be updated based on customer feedback and improvements needed.
- Touch Support –Don’t design an app that must be used with a keyboard or a mouse. Your app must be compatible with the mobile device.
- Work Offline – Though it might seem unbelievable, there are still places where wireless data service is not available. When you design an app, be sure that it can be used with or without wireless data access.
- User Feedback – A mobile app needs to allow the user to rate or comment on the features and functions. You will also want your company’s app to track user behavior so you can make wiser more financially sound decisions.
- Responsive Design – You already know the advantage of a responsive website design, but be sure you also design apps that work the same way. This is vitally important, as recent statistics from CMO Council show that 44% of mobile device users and 78% of smartphone users access retail sites via a mobile app. These users want instant information, with minimal data use.
The well-design app can be the most significant element you create, or have created, for your company. With proper planning of your app’s design and features, you can take your company to the next level and surpass your competitors. The Mobile Associates team recognizes the value of an app that meets the standards mentioned here. We would love to talk to you and learn how we can take your idea for an app from concept to completed product.