- Only 9% of small businesses are using Instagram.
- Twenty percent of Fortune 500 companies use Instagram.
- Forty-three percent of Top 100 brands post daily on Instagram.
- Ninety-six percent of US fashion brands use Instagram.
As you can surmise, despite what many businesses may believe Instagram is not just for tweens, teens, and college students. In fact, with an audience base of more than 400 million members spanning nearly every age range and demographic, Instagram is proving to be a contender for social media.
Thanks to a platform geared especially for images, Instagram is especially beneficial to businesses as it provides a free platform for showing off one’s products, services, and capabilities. And because it can be connected to Facebook, it means that you get twice the exposure for half the work.
But Instagram is more than just pictures. It now has an algorithm similar to that of Facebook that allows you to track what types of posts are working best, thus increasing your opportunity for boosting your sales. So, whether you are already using Instagram for business, or are perhaps considering it, there are several actions you will want to take to see that Instagram boost your business to its fullest.
- Instagram is the perfect platform to build your brand. Be sure to use a recognizable icon – most businesses opt for their brand or logo – that lets users easily identify who you are and what you are showing off.
- Take advantage of the bio space. Instagram only allows a small bit of space for selling yourself or your services. Use this space to provide a brief but effective description along with a link. Do keep in mind that it is nearly impossible to share links with an Instagram post, so you want to be sure your bio has a backlink to your website. Then, when you make a post, be sure to include the statement, “Link in bio”.
- Remember, the point is to promote your products/services through pictures so be sure that these are engaging and creative, but without looking fake or photo shopped. Also, be sure keep a consistent look in your posts – whether it always be using a specific filter, never/always using a background, or some other element. Be sure to be consistent!
- Don’t just promote products, include behind the scenes photos, tips, business related items and other fun tidbits. After all, no one wants to see commercials 24/7/365.
- Use #Hashtags and emojis. Consider a custom hashtag that is used for each post, but keep in mind that it is best to use no more than two hashtags per post as more than gets bothersome. As for emojis, these can be used and can add fun and interest to the posts.
- Don’ just post pictures, take the time to engage with your followers. Remember to tag when appropriate, thus adding interest in your images.
Instagram is a prime platform for getting the word out about what your company has to offer. Take the time to follow these tips and in no time at all, you can see your business bloom. After all, if Fortune 500 companies can use it, then Instagram is more than just another social media site.