By definition content marketing is “The marketing and business process for creating and distributing relevant and valuable content to attract, acquire and engage a clearly defined and understood target audience with the objective of driving a profitable customer action.” But what exactly does this text book definition mean on an applicable basis?
Simply put, content marketing is the process of building your web presence through sharing information in a relevant and engaging manner. It is viewed as one of the key elements of digital marketing and should be a part of any business looking to grow both its Web presence and its customer base. It will take time, but is worth the investment, as these facts prove:
- Studies show that more than 200 million people now have ad blockers on their devices. This means that the content you share must grab the reader’s attention. This can be done by creating compelling, valuable content that gets to the heart of your reader.
- An IBM study showed that 56% of marketers believe that personalized content helps consumers remember a brand and encourages them to engage more with the company. Keep in mind, however, that just because the content is compelling you will not see an immediate increase in engagement. It will take time and effort. You will want to take advantage of social platforms, campaigns and other marketing strategies to boost your content marketing efforts.
- According to NewsCred Insights, the average time people spend on reading an article or blog post is 37 seconds. Consequently, you need to hook them early and hold their attention. A blog will not be enough. Think about ways to use videos, live streaming, contests, newsletters, e-books, whitepapers, case studies, and any other type of content to keep their attention on your site. If you are only employing one of these elements, then you are missing out on opportunities.
- Content marketing generates more than 3x as many leads as outbound marketing yet cost 62% less. Sure, it involves time, money, and skill but its ROI makes it well worth it. Always be on the lookout for ways to turn “basic” information into something exciting and engaging.
- Though not the only method, one of the best forms of content marketing is through newsletters. A study by Campaign Monitor found for every $1 spent on email, there is a $38 return on the investment. Making content marketing even better is that there is no rule saying that effective content can only be used once. In fact, you can take original content and turn it into another form of content. Did it start as a blog post? Then turn it into an infographic. Was it a video? Consider making it into a white paper. There is always a way to repurpose quality content!
Content marketing is a vital part of your business. You need to create (or hire someone to create for you) content that garners your reader’s attention and promotes your business. Always be looking for ways to give your business that extra edge over your competition so you can be more successful than ever before.
Mobile Associates is always happy to help you develop a content marketing approach. We have a team of people who can help you create just the pieces you need. Give us a call today to get started on your 2017 content marketing strategy.