In today’s economy, there is a growing need to see that the customer is happy and finding what they want. Unlike in times past (i.e. prior to the Web) where the customer had fewer choices when making a purchase, there is now a significant need for businesses to go above and beyond to attract and retain customers. One such way this can be done is by having a website that is easy to use, and personalized to the customer. Website personalization can take on many facets.
5 Ways to Improve Website Personalization
If you are looking for ways to make your website more appealing for site guests, then website personalization is must. Each of the action items below will be effective, though not every one of them will work for every website. So, as you begin the personalization process, be sure to take time to test often and to pay attention to the results – after all, there are likely to be some changes that work better than others. Let’s get started.
- Explicit Data – This is data given to you by site guests. It typically includes information such as address, contact info, birthday, email etc. as well as info you may have gathered because of a survey or membership application. This information allows you to make more customized e-commerce ads, create targeted emails, or even create personalized messages when someone logs in.
- Mobile Responsive – Your website must be useable to your guests, no matter what type of device people use to visit it with. Consider having different Call to Actions depending on what type of device is used to access your site.
- Behavior – Pay attention to what actions your site guests take and how they engage with your content. You can track behavior by checking out what type of elements the guests download, by how often they open your email (programs like MailChimp, Constant Contact and other track this), or by having a custom app made that allows customers to have a more personal experience.
- Geolocation – This involves having profiles and situational data, which allows you to tailor your users experience to a particular region or area. Some ways this can be implemented is through banner ads, by using language geared toward a specific area, sending emails based on a particular time zone, or by using IP address look ups.
- Campaign enrollment – This approach is based on lead buyer information. It is used to funnel prospects toward specific campaigns based on their buying stage. If you know at what point of the purchasing process the buyer is, you can send targeted emails to move them on to the next step. Programs great for helping with this include ZOHO or Salesforce.
Website personalization is a necessary approach for making your online customers happy. These methods can be implemented with relative ease, and will have positive results for both you and your site guests. If you are looking for ways to promote your website and build your business, then talk to one of our pros about a website personalization update. We are here to help you succeed.