Did you know that beginning in May, Google will be looking a lot more closely at your website? If not, then now is the time to get ready for the new “must have” design element. The element – in order for a website to rank well, it must be mobile device friendly.
According to a March 16, 2016 report from Google, they plan to start using mobile-friendliness as a ranking element. This announcement is not a new approach in web searches. As early as November 2014, Google started labeling sites as mobile friendly, then again announced in April of 2015 that being mobile friendly would be a part of the algorithm as soon as May of that year. And, as promised, this became a ranking factor for individual pages, if not the whole website. But what exactly does it mean for your website to be mobile ready? Here are the basic qualifiers:
- Not using software such as Flash, that is not common on every mobile device.
- Being able to read the website text without the need to zoom in.
- Having content that is sized to the screen, so that site guests don’t have to scroll horizontally or zoom in.
- Text links are placed far enough apart so that it is possible to easily tap a specific one.
- Easy navigation, so that guests can scroll seamlessly on a keypad or touchscreen.
- A website that can be viewed both vertically and horizontally.
- Having large buttons so that customers can engage more easily.
It should be noted that Google’s goal is “to make it even easier for users to find pages that are relevant and mobile friendly.” They also take into account how a website presents its information, the quality of the information and how it relates to a search query, and how easy it is for users to navigate the site. So, if you are pleased with your current ranking in Google search and wish to keep it, or perhaps you would like to improve your current ranking, making the change to a mobile friendly website should be high on your priority list.
Quick Facts that Make a Mobile Device Friendly Website Important
If Google pushing you towards a mobile friendly website is not enough of an incentive for revamping your website, then consider these facts:
- 50% of smartphone users visit a store within a day of their local search
- 74% of mobile customers are more likely to return to a website if it is mobile-friendly, according to Google.
- 67% are more likely to buy a product or service from a mobile-friendly website
- However, 50% said that even if they like a business, they will use them less often if the website is not mobile-friendly
- According to Internet Live Stats, over 40,000 searches queries are answered by Google EVERY second on average
Mobile devices are here to stay and you don’t want to miss out on the action because your website is not mobile friendly. If you are uncertain if your website is ready, then take advantage of Google’s free Mobile-Friendly test and find out.
The Mobile Associates team is here to help your website perform and look its best, because we want you to succeed. If your website is need of a makeover, or just needs to be designed to be mobile device friendly, we would love to help. Contact us today, to learn how we can bring your website up to date.