“The more feedback retailers can obtain to shed light on the motivation for a purchase, the better success they’ll have in marketing their products and building buyer confidence.” Matt Parsons of PowerReviews
(image from rocksdigital.com)
While we may not want to think about it, now is the time to start planning for the holiday season. You can’t wait until November 1st, and suddenly decide to start determining a holiday promo or campaign – you need to begin now. And, while there are many facets to creating a successful holiday campaign, one of the often-overlooked elements is that of having customers who leave positive, sale boosting reviews online.
Why are online reviews important to your holiday sales? Because studies show that 95% of shoppers look to ratings and reviews as the most authentic voice about a product. Factor in that in 2015 alone, there was more than $626 billion spent on gifts, and that means a lot of review were read. So, how does one go about getting positive customer reviews? Here are a few tips:
- Make their time on your website unforgettable in a good way. Have a website that is easily navigated, that is a responsive design and makes it easy to leave feedback.
- Have a custom app designed to make leaving a review simple. Don’t have an app? No problem, the Mobile Associates team can design one for you.
- Be conspicuous in asking for reviews. If you have a brick and mortar store, it’s okay to mention leaving a review when they check out, or by asking for a review on a menu or sales tag. For online purchases, you could opt to have a call to action button for reviews.
- Don’t tell them what to write. Ask for an honest review of the product or service they received. If you don’t think you will like the customer reviews, then it is time to re-evaluate your service or what you are offering.
- Be ready to answer reviews – especially the bad ones. Taking time to respond in a positive manner to the bad reviews, and working to make things right goes a long way in the eyes of those who are reading the reviews. Tell your side of the story without criticism and taking the hit with grace shows that you are real. You will be surprised at how often this actually wins customers!
- Offer an incentive to those who leave reviews. It might be a small gift, a coupon, extra points on a value card, or something else only available by leaving a review. Just be sure to stay within the lines of online customer review sites. One way to do this is by offering a monthly giveaway based on a drawing entered by leaving a review.
So, what do you want your reviews to say about you? Take time to answer that question in depth, and then work towards seeing that the reviews left are the kind you seek. Then make it easy and exciting to leave a review for your company by having CTA buttons, apps, hard copy forms or any other action item you can implement. But don’t delay. Now is the time to get started on promoting who you are, so you are ready for the holiday season later.